[Python-Dev] Second draft: PEP397: Python launcher for Windows

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:52:58 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 22/03/2011 07:21, Mark Hammond wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>   I've made some changes to the draft PEP and checked it into the PEP
> repository as PEP397.  The reference implementation is currently being
> tracked at http://bugs.python.org/issue11629.
>

> Hey Mark,
>
> One way of supporting alternative implementations (that may not even have a
> standard install directory) is allowing configuration. e.g. config.ini
>
>     [paths]
>     ironpython = c:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe
>     ironpython2.7 = c:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe
>     jython = c:\Users\foobar\jython2.5\jython.exe
>
> Pythons specified in this way should be recognised in the shebang line using
> any of the formats:
>
>     #! ironpython
>     #! /usr/bin/ironpython
>     #! /usr/bin/env ironpython
>
> This would also permit alternative install locations. (And it would be nice
> if the launcher could use the config file to *automatically* do the right
> thing for the 'w' variants.)
>
> All the best,
>
> Michael

Oops...I accidentally sent this off-list:

The main problem I can think of for the config file is that those hard
coded paths probably won't work about 10% of the time. I install my
Python stuff in a different location then the C drive, for example.

- Mike