[Python-Dev] Trimming the fat from "make quicktest" (was Re: I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 23 16:32:45 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:44:30 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> In IRC Antoine suggested -j5 (note that -j is not compatible with -l so you
> have to override TESTOPTS not just EXTRATESTOPTS).  Adding --slow here's what
> I get:
>
> $ make TESTOPTS="-j5 --slow" quicktest
> 10 slowest tests:
> test_mmap: 221.6s
> test_shelve: 184.4s
> test_posix: 156.3s
> test_largefile: 150.0s
> test_concurrent_futures: 105.0s
> test_fork1: 12.0s
> test_threading: 8.8s
> test_signal: 8.4s
> test_warnings: 8.0s
> test_threaded_import: 6.1s
>
> If I disable down to and including test_concurrent_futures, quicktest runs in
> 3m20s wall clock.  *That's* what I'm talkin' 'bout!  And the run time is
> totally reasonable without halving the test run.  I don't think those 5
> slowest tests would be missed in a smoke test.
>
> Any objections to adding those slowest 5 tests to the blacklist, and -j5 to
> quicktest for Python 3.3?

For me, the same objections as to blacklisting any tests at all.
If some tests are too slow, individual issues about them should be
opened.

Also, there may be some issues with your system.
test_mmap, test_shelve, test_posix all take 1-2 seconds each here.
Again, please open issues on the tracker.

Regards

Antoine.