[Python-Dev] I plan to push faulthandler into Python 3.3 in one week

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Thu Mar 24 01:36:31 CET 2011

Le jeudi 24 mars 2011 à 01:05 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" a écrit :
> > What is the procedure to add a new module? Just add the code into
> > Modules and patch setup.py? The module is distributed under the BSD
> > (2-clause) license.
>
> Also add it to the Visual Studio build process. It either needs to go
> into pythonXY.dll (i.e. pythoncore.vcproj), or into a separate project,
> to be referenced from pcbuild.sln.

Antoine would like to enable faulthandler by default on fatal error. I
suppose that it would be more easy to do that if the module is a builtin
module, especially if we want to dump the traceback on fatal errors at
*startup* (during Py_InitializeEx).

But we can make it optional, and use a command line option (eg. python
-x faulthandler) or an environment variable to enable it
(PYTHONFAULTHANDLER=1). I am not sure that it is really useful to enable
it *by default*, and some people don't want it enabled by default
because it writes into file descriptor 2 (sys.stderr.fileno()) which may
have been replaced by something else.

Because the module is still a little bit experimental (well, it's stable
but it is not tested by enough people), I would prefer to disable it by
default and have it has an extension (use a dynamic module). But it
doesn't really matter to me :-)

(ok, I will also patch the Visual Studio project)

> Contributions under the BSD license are not acceptable. You did provide
> a contributor agreement, right?

If it is a paper thing, I don't think so. I only sent a paper to the
PSF, but I think that it is different. When I got my commit access one
year ago, I was only asked for a SSH public key. It looks like I will
need to sign this agreement :-)

I can distribute the module under two licenses, I am the only author (I
got two minor contributors).

Victor