[Python-Dev] Extending os.chown() to accept user/group names

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:24:23 CEST 2011

Hi all,
before opening an issue to track the request, I'd like to ask advice
here about this: extend os.chown() to accept even user/group names
instead of just uid and gid.

On a Unix system, you can call chown command passing either id or
names, so it seems (to me at least) natural to expect os.chown() to
behave similarly; but that's not the case.

I can see os module wants to be a thin wrapper around OS syscalls and
chown(2) accepts only uid/gid as input, so what would be best: extend
os.chown() or provide a chown() function in shutil module for this
purpose?

Thanks in advance,