[Python-Dev] cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 5 19:19:59 CEST 2012

On 4/5/2012 10:06 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
> (reformatted to remove topposting)
>
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:52:56 +0300, Andrew Svetlov<andrew.svetlov at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis at pitrou.net>  wrote:

>>> Aren't there any docs?
>>
>> Maybe you will be surprised, but tkinter.rst has no comprehensive docs
>> for any tkinter class.

There are doc strings to be updated. See below.

>> I like to get it fixed but definitely cannot do it myself. My very
>> poor English is the main objection for writing narrative
>> documentation.
>
> One way to approach this problem would be to draft some rough docs that
> try to capture the functionality without worrying about English content
> or style.  Then you could post the rough draft somewhere, and ask for
> someone from the docs mailing list to edit it.  My thought would be that
> whoever took on the task would then do a rewrite, asking you questions
> to fill in any details that aren't clear from the rough draft.
>
> Thank, you, by the way, for all the work you are doing.

I have been hoping to work on a proper tkinter doc. I discovered some
time ago through the pydoc server (not currently working for me, see
http://bugs.python.org/issue14512)
that their are doc strings for (most) everything. I have been meaning to
ask whether there is a way to build a draft doc from the doc strings.
The first major editing job, given output like I saw in the browser,
would be to remove the constant duplication of entries for inherited
methods. Some widgets inherit perhaps a hundred methods and only add or
override a couple. I guess the next question is whether a draft doc
could be built *without* pulling in inherited methods.

--
Terry Jan Reedy