[Python-Dev] Questions for the PEP 418: monotonic vs steady, is_adjusted

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 08:26:11 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 02:51, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before posting a first draft of the PEP 418 to python-dev, I have some
> questions.
>
> == Naming: time.monotonic() or time.steady()? ==

The clock is monotonic by all reasonable definitions of monotonic (ie
they don't go backwards). There are some reasonable definitions of
steady in which the clocks returned aren't steady (ie, the rate is not
necessarily the same always), especially when it comes to system
suspends, but also with regards to slew adjustments.

Hence the function should be called monotonic().

//Lennart