[Python-Dev] cpython: Issue #11750: The Windows API functions scattered in the _subprocess and

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 19 13:19:02 CEST 2012

>>>   Issue #11750: The Windows API functions scattered in the _subprocess and
>>> _multiprocessing.win32 modules now live in a single module "_winapi".
>>> Patch by sbt.
>>
>> Can we use Real Names, please?
>
> Do we have a policy about that? sbt seems happy using a pseudonym (and
> I personally don't have a problem with it).

We would have to ask a lawyer. Apparently, he signed a form, and
presumably, that can be traced to a real person. However, we need to
be extremely careful not to accept anonymous contributions, as then
barrier to contribute stolen code is much lower. It took Linux a ten
year copyright lawsuit to go through this; I don't want this to happen
for Python.

In any case, the real policy is that we should not accept significant
changes without a contributor form.

I, myself, feel extremely uncomfortable dealing with pseudonyms in the
net, more so since I committed code from (and, IIRC, gave commit rights
to) Reinhold Birkenfeld. Of course, the issue is different when you
*know* it's pseudonym (and no, I have no bad feelings towards Georg
about this at all).

Regards,
Martin