[Python-Dev] which C language standard CPython must conform to

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Feb 8 21:55:20 CET 2012

> Some quick searching shows that there is at least hope Microsoft is on
> board with C++11x (not so surprising, their crown jewels are written
> in C++).  We should at some point demand a C++ compiler for CPython
> and pick of subset of C++ features to allow use of but that is likely
> reserved for the Python 4 timeframe (a topic for another thread and
> time entirely, it isn't feasible for today's codebase).

See my earlier post on building Python as a Windows 8 Metro App.
As one strategy, I tried compiling Python as C++ code (as it wasn't
clear whether C is fully supported; this is now resolved). It is
actually feasible to change Python so that it compiles with a C++
compiler and still continues to compile as C also, with just
a few ifdefs.

This is, of course, off-topic wrt. the original question: even
C++11 compilers often don't support non-ASCII identifiers.

Regards,
Martin