[Python-Dev] PEP 394 request for pronouncement (python2 symlink in *nix systems)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 10:04:30 CET 2012

PEP 394 [1] aims to document our collective recommendation for
allowing shebang lines to specifically request some version of 2.x,
without requiring that it be exactly 2.7 (or 2.6, etc).

I'd let this drift for a while, but the imminent release of 2.7.3
makes it necessary to push for a final pronouncement. Kerrick has the
necessary Makefile.pre.in patch up on the tracker [2] to add the hard
link for the python2 name.

We could, of course, make the recommendation to distributions without
updating "make install" and "make bininstall" to follow our own
advice, but that seems needlessly inconsistent.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
[2] http://bugs.python.org/issue12627

Regards,
Nick.