[Python-Dev] A panel with Guido/python-dev on scientific uses and Python 3 at Google HQ, March 2nd

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:44:41 CET 2012

Hi all,

I wanted to point out to you folks, and invite any of you who could make
it in person, to a panel discussion we'll be having on Friday March 2nd,
at 3pm, during the PyData workshop that will take place at Google's
headquarters in Mountain View:

http://pydataworkshop.eventbrite.com

The PyData workshop is organized by several developers coming from the
numerical/scientific side of the Python world, and we thought this would
be a good opportunity, both timing- and logistics-wise, for a discussion
with as many Python developers as possible.  The upcoming Python 3.3
release, the lifting of the language moratorium, the gradual (but slow)
uptake of Python 3 in science, the continued and increasing growth of
Python as a tool in scientific research and education, etc, are all good
reasons for thinking this could be a productive discussion.

This is the thread on the Numpy mailing list where we've had some back-and-
forth about ideas:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2012-February/060437.html

Guido has already agreed to participate, and a number of developers for
'core' scientific Python projects will be present at the panel, including:

- Travis Oliphant, Peter Wang, Mark Wiebe, Stefan van der Walt (Numpy,
Scipy)
- John Hunter (Matplotlib)
- Fernando Perez, Brian Granger, Min Ragan-Kelley (IPython)
- Dag Sverre Seljebotn (Numpy, Cython)

It would be great if as many core Python developers for whom a Bay Area
Friday afternoon drive to Mountain View is feasible could attend.  Those
of you already at Google will hopefully all make it, of course :)

We hope this discussion will be a good start for interesting developments
that require dialog between the 'science crowd' and python-dev.  Several
of us will also be available at PyCon 2012, so if there's interest we can
organize an informal follow-up/BoF on this topic the next week at PyCon.

Please forward this information to anyone you think might be interested
(I'll be posting in a second to the Bay Piggies list).

If you are not a Googler nor already registered for PyData, but would like
to attend, please let me know by emailing me at:

fernando.perez at berkeley.edu

We have room for a few extra people (in addition to PyData attendees) for
this particular meeting, and we'll do our best to accomodate you.  Please
let me know if you're a core python committer in your message.

I'd like to thank Google for their hospitality in hosting us for PyData,
and Guido for his willingness to take part in this discussion.  I hope it
will be a productive one for all involved.

Best,