[Python-Dev] Versioning proposal: syntax.stdlib.bugfix

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 07:14:51 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> I think the underlying problem is starting with a long-term fixed leading
> '3', which conveys no information about current and future changes (at least
> for another decade).

In updating PEP 413 to include an explanation for why the simple
major.minor.micro = language.stdlib.maintenance approach doesn't work
due to the ongoing 2->3 transition [1], I realised that there *is* a
way to make it work:

Instead of making 3.3 version 4.0, we make it version 33.0

That's essentially what PEP 413 currently proposes for the standard
library anyway, but it would actually work just as well for the
existing sys.version_info structure. (it would break
"sys.version_info.major == 3" checks, but such checks are badly
written)

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0413/#why-not-use-the-major-version-number

Cheers,
Nick.