[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:07:03 CET 2012

On 27 February 2012 20:39, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> Note that u'' literals are sort of the tip of the iceberg here;
> supporting them will obviously not make development under the subset an
> order of magnitude less sucky, just a tiny little bit less sucky.  There
> are other extremely annoying things, like str(bytes) returning the repr
> of a bytestring on Python 3.  That's almost as irritating as the absence
> of u'' literals, but we have to evaluate one thing at a time.

So. Am I misunderstanding here, or are you suggesting that this
particular PEP doesn't help you much, but if it's accepted, it
represents "the thin end of the wedge" for a series of subsequent PEPs
suggesting fixes for a number of other "extremely annoying things"...?

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's certainly what it sounded
like to me!

Paul.