[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 ipaddr module (was Re: PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:44:26 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Scott Dial
<scott+python-dev at scottdial.com> wrote:
> PEP 3144 wasn't pronounced upon because there were significant
> disagreements about the design of the API proposed in the PEP. As it
> stands, I believe the authorship of ipaddr either decided that they were
> not going to compromise their module or lost interest.
>
> See Nick Coghlan's summary:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail//python-ideas/2011-August/011305.html

Peter Moody actually addressed all my comments from last year (alas, I
forgot that python-ideas got dropped from the latter part of the email
chain, so it became a private discussion between Peter, Guido and
myself). I apparently got distracted by other issues and never
followed up on Peter's final review request. The branch with the
relevant changes is here (these weren't added back into ipaddr
mainline since they aren't all backwards compatible with the existing
ipaddr API): http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/source/browse/#svn%2Fbranches%2F3144

Peter was very responsive and accommodating during that discussion :)

(The notes below are an edited version of Peter's off-list reply to me
from last year, reflecting the final state of the ipaddr 3144 branch)