[Python-Dev] Bloody FAQ (Was: [Python-ideas] itertools.chunks(iterable, size, fill=None))

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 21:41:29 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> anatoly techtonik, 05.07.2012 15:36:
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> From Raymond's first message on http://bugs.python.org/issue6021 , add
>>> grouper:
>>>
>>> "This has been rejected before.
>>
>> I quite often see such arguments and I can't stand to repeat that
>> these are not arguments. It is good to know, but when people use that
>> as a reason to close tickets - that's just disgusting.
>
> The *real* problem is that people keep bringing up topics (and even spell
> them out in the bug tracker) without searching for existing discussions
> and/or tickets first. That's why those who do such a search (or who know
> what they are talking about anyway) close these tickets with the remark
> "this has been rejected before", instead of repeating an entire heap of
> arguments all over again to feed a discussion that would only lead to the
> same result as it did before, often several times before.

Make the bloody FAQ and summarize this stuff? Why waste each others
time? If people don't enjoy repeating themselves over and over - there
is a bloody wiki. What should happen to people to start extracting
gems of knowledge from piles of dusty sheets called list "archives"
for others to admire.

No, it is easier to say "it was already discussed many times", "why
don't you Google yourself", "so far you're only complaining", etc. If
people can't find anything - why everybody thinks they are ignorant
and lazy. Even if it so, why nobody thinks that maybe that bloody
Xapian index is dead again for a bloody amount of moons nobody knows
why and how many exactly? Why nobody thinks that lazy coders can also
help with development? Maybe that laziness is the primary reason some
major groups actually prefer Python to Java, C++ and other more
interesting languages (such as PHP) when it comes to typing? Make it
easy and the patches will follow. Answers like "this was discussed
before" don't make it easy to understand, and leaving users rereading
old 19xx archives that people don't reread themselves will likely make
users bounce and never (NEVER!) come up with some proposal again. An
"organic" way to keep traffic low.

Miscommunication is a bad experience for users, bad experience for
developers, everybody is annoyed and as a result such nice language as
Python loses points on TIOBE (and convenient chunk() functions to
munch-munch on the sequence data).

Wheew. :-F