[Python-Dev] test_hashlib

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 22 02:08:01 CEST 2012

I think I see Kristján's point: the pure Python implementation handles
errors differently than the C implementation, so the unittest fails if
the pure Python version is enabled. I imagine this is a general
problem that often occurs when a pure Python version is normally
shadowed by a C extension, unless the unittest is rigged so that it
tests the pure Python version as well as the C version. But it still
remains a matter of judgment whether in a particular case the unittest
is overspecified or the Python version is incorrect. I think that in
this case Kristján's hunch is correct, and the pure Python version
needs to be adjusted to pass the test. I also think this is a low
priority issue since it only affects behavior of error cases.

--Guido

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
<amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/21 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
>> Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The code will raise ValueError when int(1) is passed in, but the
>>> unittests expect a TypeError.
>>
>> Well, if test_hashlib passes, surely your analysis is wrong, no?
>
> In the normal case, yes:

> TypeError: name must be a string
>
> But if the _hashlib extension module is not available, the python
> version is used and ValueError is raised:

> ValueError: unsupported hash type 1
>
> --
> Amaury Forgeot d'Arc

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)