[Python-Dev] Building python 2.7.3 with Visual Studio 2012 (VS11.0)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 24 21:20:46 CEST 2012

> If building with VS11.0, is there more than just applying the
> equivalent VS10.0 patch to also include VS11?

I think nobody *really* knows at this point. Microsoft has a tradition
of breaking Python with every VS release, by making slight incompatible
changes in the C library. With VS 2012, on the one hand, they give
explicit consideration to VS 2010 and continued use of its tools; OTOH,
they also deliberately broke XP support in the CRT.

So you have to try for yourself. If Python passes the test suite (as
good as the official release), then the build was successful.

A different matter is dependent libraries (zlib, openssl, Tcl/Tk, ...).
You also have to build those with VS 2012 (if you want to use them),
each one likely posing its own challenges.

If you manage to succeed, don't forget to post your findings here.
Also if you fail.

Good luck,
Martin