[Python-Dev] __sizeof__ tests

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 10:54:24 CEST 2012

I have a set of patches about the correct __sizeof__ implementations
(one has already been committed (issue #15456), 13 left, 2 of them
published (#15469 for deque and #15475 for itertools)). The most tedious
is to write tests for them, especially paranoid tests, on which Martin
v. Löwis insists. For not to duplicate the supporting code, I suggest
add (move from test_sys test) three utility functions to test.support
module (issue #15467). Also from the use of the common code will benefit
issues #15402 (for struct) and #15424 (for array). The testing for
cElemetTree also will be easier.

Martin remarked that this adds new features to test.support and can only
be done in 3.4. Question to release managers. Whether this is
acceptable, if we do these functions private (with names that begin with
an underscore)? Or would we have to copy the supporting code in every
test file with __sizeof__ test?