[Python-Dev] Signed packages

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Sat Jun 23 12:52:42 CEST 2012

On 22 June 2012 17:56, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Alexandre Zani wrote:
>
> Key distribution is the real issue though. If there isn't a key
> distribution infrastructure in place, we might as well not bother with
> signatures. PyPI could issue x509 certs to packagers. You wouldn't be
> able to verify that the name given is accurate, but you would be able
> to verify that all packages with the same listed author are actually
> by that author.
>
> I've been sketching out ideas for key distribution, but it's very much
> a chicken and egg problem, very few people sign their packages (because
> nothing uses it currently), and nobody is motivated to work on
> infrastructure
> or tooling because no one signs their packages.

I'm surprised gpg hasn't been mentioned here.  I think these are all
solved problems, most free software that is signed signs it with the
gpg key of the author.  In that case all that is needed is that the
cheeseshop allows the uploading of the signature.  As for key
distribution, the keyservers take care of that just fine and we'd
probably see more and better attended signing parties at python
conferences.

Regards,
Floris