[Python-Dev] Spreading the Python 3 religion
stefan at bytereef.org
Thu Mar 1 12:11:36 CET 2012
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Changes to http://docs.python.org/howto/pyporting.html are welcome. I tried to
> make sure it exposed all possibilities with tips on how to support as far back
> as Python 2.5.
I'd like to add a section that highlights the advantages of separate
branches. Starting perhaps with:
Advantages of separate branches:
1) The two code bases are cleaner.
2) Neither version is a second class citizen.
3) New Python3 features can be adopted without worrying about conversion tools.
4) For the developer: psychologically, slowly the py3k version becomes the
master branch (as it should).
5) For the user: running 2to3 on install sends the signal that version 2
is the real version. This is not the case if there are, say, src2/
and src3/ directories in the distribution.
More information about the Python-Dev