[Python-Dev] Does trunk still support any compilers that *don't* allow declaring variables after code?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Fri May 4 17:14:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> Do we officially support any C compilers that *don't* permit "intermingled
>> variable declarations and code"?  Do we *unofficially* support any?  And if
>> we do, what do we gain?
>
> This might be of interest:
>
> http://herbsutter.com/2012/05/03/reader-qa-what-about-vc-and-c99/?nope
>
> Specifically, apparently MSVC 2010 supports variable declarations in
> the middle of a block in C.
>
> Also, since full C99 support won't be coming to MSVC, perhaps Python
> should move to compiling in C++ mode?

After seeing that same article yesterday and having the VS2010 port
open, I tried this and it appears it won't work without significant
code changes at least as far as I saw. I enabled /TP on the pythoncore
project and got over 1363 errors.

I don't have the time to figure it out right now, but I'll look more
into it later.