[Python-Dev] Cut/Copy/Paste items in IDLE right click context menu

Andrew Svetlov andrew.svetlov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:46:58 CET 2012

Hi. There are issue for subject: http://bugs.python.org/issue1207589
It has patches, implemented well and committed.
I've pushed it to versions 2.7, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4.

My thoughts are: the issue is not brand new subject but improvement for
current IDLE functionality.
Added code cannot break any existing program/library I hope, it's related
to humans who use IDLE only.
It is desirable feature and probably IDLE users will be ok with new items
in context menu even they are still 2.7 users.

There are another opinion: it is new feature, not a bug, and the patch
should be applied to 3.4 only.

If you look on discussion for issue (http://bugs.python.org/issue1207589)
you can see we cannot make decision, votes are split.

I want to raise the question on this mailing list (as Terry Reedy
suggested) to ask for community opinion.

Thanks, Andrew Svetlov