[Python-Dev] Cut/Copy/Paste items in IDLE right click context menu

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 03:04:57 CET 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> The way to resolve a proposal
>>
>> like that is to put it forward as a PEP, and explain the rationale for
>> treating IDLE differently.
>

> A PEP seems like overkill to me. The matter is a rule clarification, not an
> enhancement proposal. The rationale is simple.

If you don't want to run the risk of needing to rehash this discussion
every time an IDLE feature addition is made in maintenance branches,
write the rules down in a PEP.

I don't actually care all that much about IDLE (except in an abstract
"I know other people care about it" sense), but I *do* care about
developers being able to understand the rules about whether or not a
feature addition is permissible in a maintenance branch. That kind of
thing *cannot* be left to "oh, this change is OK, this change isn't,
but you needed to be around for this discussion that happened 5 years
ago in order to understand why", because it *wastes everybody's time*
explaining the unwritten rules to new developers. If there is a part
of the code base where new features are permitted in maintenance
branches, write them down, get agreement on them, and if anyone
complains "but that's a new feature on a maintenance branch", point
them to the PEP that says its OK.

Cheers,
Nick.