[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Pre-alpha draft for PEP 435 (enum). The name is not important at the moment, as

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:50:00 CET 2013

On 2/25/2013 12:35 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

> But this I don't, and in both mine, Ted's, and Alex's versions enums
> from different groups do not compare equal, regardless of the underlying
> value.  Of course, this does have the potential problem of `green == 1
> == bee` but not `green == bee` which would be a problem with set and
> dicts -- but I'm the only one who has brought up that issue.

I have not been following the discussion in detail so I missed that
before. Breaking transitivity of equality a no-no. It is basic to
thought and logic.

decimal(0) == 0 == 0.0 != decimal(0)
was a problem we finally fixed by removing the inequality above.
http://bugs.python.org/issue4087
http://bugs.python.org/issue4090

We should NOT knowingly re-introduce the same problem again! If color
and animal are isolated from each other, they should each be isolated
from everything, including int.

--
Terry Jan Reedy