[Python-Dev] test___all__ polluting sys.modules?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Jan 1 04:26:54 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>
>> wrote:

>> 'from
>> sys.modules,
>> sys,modules.
>> etree

>> > Sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>> I've tried this as an inherent property of regrtest before (to resolve
>> some problems with test_pydoc), and it didn't work - we have too many
>> modules with non-local side effects (IIRC, mostly related to the copy
>> and pickle registries).
>>
>> Given that it checks the whole standard library, test___all__ is
>> likely to run into the same problem.
>>

> Yes, I'm running into all kinds of weird problems when saving/restoring
> sys.modules around test___all__. This is not the first time I get to fight
> this test-run-dependency problem and it's very frustrating.
>
> This may be a naive question, but why don't we run the tests in separate
> interpreters? For example with -j <N> we do (which creates all kinds of
> strange intermittent problems depending on which tests got bundled into the
> same process). Is this a matter of performance? Because that would help get
> rid of these dependencies between tests, which would probably save core
> devs some work and headache.

For test___all__ having it run itself within a subprocess to guarantee it
is in its own interpreter is wise.

Doing that for all tests by default though is a good way to hide problems
with particular tests and underhandedly encourage more bad behavior from
tests messing up the global environment as there are no consequences. We
should aim to keep our tests as clean as possible. That doesn't mean that
they _are_ (we've got a _lot_ of old messy code) but it is a good goal.

-gps