[Python-Dev] cpython (3.3): return NULL here

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jul 23 17:46:26 CEST 2013

On 23 Jul, 2013, at 17:36, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:

> Am 23.07.2013 17:10, schrieb Benjamin Peterson:
>>> PyErr_SetFromErrno() already and always returns NULL. Or do you prefer
>>> to return NULL explicitly?
>>
>> It might always return NULL, but the compiler sees (PyObject *)NULL
>> when this function returns dl_funcptr.
>
> Oh, you are right. I must have missed the compiler warning. How about we
> turn type return and type assignment warnings into fatal errors?

That's probably possible with a '-Werror=....' argument. But please consider
issue 18211 before unconditionally adding such a flag, as that issue mentions
new compiler flags also get used when compiling 3th-party extensions.

I guess there needs to be (yet) another CFLAGS_xxx variable in the Makefile that
gets added to $(CFLAGS) during the build of Python itself, but is ignored by
distutils and sysconfig.

Ronald