[Python-Dev] PEP 446: Open issues/questions

Richard Oudkerk shibturn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 14:12:12 CEST 2013

On 30/07/2013 11:52am, Victor Stinner wrote:
 > You can redirect standard streams (stdin, stdout, stderr) using the
 > startup info structure:
 >
 > startupinfo.dwFlags |= _winapi.STARTF_USESTDHANDLES
 > startupinfo.hStdInput = p2cread
 > startupinfo.hStdOutput = c2pwrite
 > startupinfo.hStdError = errwrite

The documentation for STARTUPINFO says this about STARTF_USESTDHANDLES:

   If this flag is specified when calling one of the process creation
   functions, the handles must be inheritable and the function's
   bInheritHandles parameter must be set to TRUE.

So, as I said, if you redirect the streams then you inherit all
inheritable handles.

--
Richard