[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 434, Idle Enhancement Exception

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 02:33:59 CET 2013

I am accepting Todd Rovito's and Terry Reedy's PEP 434, officially
declaring IDLE to be an application bundled with Python, with the
contents of "Lib/idlelib" exempt from the usual "no new features in
maintenance releases" rule.

As stated in the PEP, this isn't carte blanche to do major rewrites in
maintenance releases, merely acknowledgement that, when in doubt, we
better serve our users by treating IDLE as a bundled application and
making it behave consistently across all supported versions than we do
by treating it as a library first and an application second.

Hopefully this clarification, and the stated goal of supporting IDLE
as a high quality cross-platform default starting point for new Python
users that aren't already accustomed to the command line and editing
text files directly, will make it easier for the IDLE developers to
focus on making IDLE excel at that task.

Regards,
Nick.