[Python-ideas] Adding a test discovery into Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Mar 11 20:49:18 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
>> I'm +1 for a simple (!) test discovery system. I'm emphasizing on simple
>> because there are enough frameworks for elaborate unit testing.
>>
>> Such a tool should
>>
>> - find all modules and packages named 'tests' for a given package name
>
> I predict that this part is where you'll have a hard time getting
> consensus. There are lots of different naming conventions. It would be
> nice if people could use the new discovery feature without having to
> move all their tests around.

Still, there should be one way to do it, so that future projects can start
to use a common pattern. I actually think the selection of such a pattern
can be completely arbitrary, as it will be impossible to get a clear vote
on this.

Obviously, the OWTDI does not lift the requirement that the test finder
must support alternate patterns to make it work smoothly with existing test
suites. It's just meant to avoid the configuration overhead if you do it
'the right way'.

Stefan