[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 20 07:14:57 CEST 2009

Michael Foord writes:

 > I accept that it is a necessary restriction in Python

I agree with your point that it is a restriction.  But the connotation
of "necessary" that it would be desirable to relax it if there were a
good syntax, I don't know about that.

Up to about ten years ago, I used lambda in Lisp code a lot.  Since
then I've found that use cases are being pried from my grasp one by
one.  I find nowadays that even one-liners that are simply currying a
multiargument function are more readable when defined as named
functions.