[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Oct 21 18:56:38 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The main point in favour of anonymous blocks of some kind is that having
> to define the subfunction before using it often *will* get the order of
> the code as written out of whack with respect to the order that makes
> the most logical sense.

I actually don't buy that argument. I believe that the main reason
people keep arguing for anonymous blocks (and this will never stop) is
simply that there is a certain segment of the programmer population
that is used to solving a large variety of problems with anonymous
blocks and that they don't want to learn how to solve each of those
cases using the existing tools in Python.

See also my proposal of a moratorium on language changes.