[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Oct 22 20:54:02 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:29, Patrick Laban <laban.patrick at gmail.com>wrote:

> Please forgive me if anything I say has already been mentioned.  I am
> certainly in support of a moratorium on Python core and switch the focus to
> Python libraries.  I'm sure others have noticed that as of late many
> proposals have been of lower quality or are the same old ideas that keep
> getting requested.
>
> My only concern would be that the technology field is always changing and
> some great new technologies may come up during the moratorium.  To alleviate
> this concern I propose that the primary Python core developers either meet
> once a year, or at the halfway point of the moratorium.  They would then
> discuss whether or not any changes within the field are major enough to
> warrant a change within Python core.

We already meet once a year at PyCon US and since last year instigated a
language summit so we can just discuss things.

But a moratorium is a moratorium. This is an all-or-nothing approach. As
Guido has said, add gray area to it and suddenly everyone is trying to get
their feature in. I really don't think going a release or two w/o changes to
the language is going to make Python obsolete. We already have features in
3.x that people just don't know about because they have not started using it
yet.

-Brett