[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 25 09:34:58 CET 2009

geremy condra writes:

 > Let's just clear up a misconception: I am *for a moratorium*.

I don't think anybody said otherwise.

So, in the meantime, you propose a "sandbox":

 > We allow people to keep coming up with ideas and keep developing
 > ideas on the off chance that one of them works so well that we want
 > to integrate it after the moratorium lifts.
 > There is no obligation here, no demands made on anyone's time who
 > does not care to take a look at whats happening in the sandbox. In
 > a few words, there is no cost.
 >
 > If done properly

... it will be work for somebody.<wink> Doing things properly always
is.  As Nick points out, Mercurial already allows that personal
sandboxes, quite cheaply.  Why should python.org and/or the PSF
provide such a sandbox?  I can think of one reason: providing a place
to showcase new features in variants of the major implementations that
are in actual use in other projects, and to collect common code of the
various implementations so it can be shared.  Maybe there's room for
some speculative features, but I don't yet see that as a primary
purpose here.

 > As I say, it seems like a good idea to me, and if it turns out
 > later not to have been it has virtually no consequences.

That would be a shame if it works out poorly partly because it's been
sold as cheap and risk-free, and as a consequence nobody puts in the
resources needed to "do it properly".