[Python-ideas] adding digital signature and encryption "hashes" to hashlib?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Sep 25 13:44:28 CEST 2009

Bill Janssen <janssen at ...> writes:

> Again, I wasn't proposing to replace m2cryto or pycrypto or anything
> else; I was suggesting that providing easy-to-use APIs to a couple of
> commonly-requested crypto features, for use by non-cryptographers,
> wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think it would be good indeed. Since we already wrapping OpenSSL, let's give
access to more of its features instead of having people find additional binary
packages (of varying quality) for their platform.

As for some of the points which have been raised here:
- Putting non-hash functions in "hashlib" would look strange.
- Please don't call the package "evp", it's cryptic (;-)) and tied to a specific
implementation. "crypto" would be fine and obvious.
- I don't think there should be a default argument. People shouldn't try to do
any crypto at all if they aren't able to choose an algorithm. Documenting
(perhaps recommending) a couple of them (AES, RSA) would be more helpful than
supporting a silent default.
- The API needn't (and shouldn't) be the same as for hashing objects. A digest()
method doesn't make sense. Ideally some of the {en,de}crypting objects could be
file-like objects, but it's not really necessary IMO (and it can always be done
in pure Python on top of a lower-level C extension, assuming the extension does
provide a streaming interface).

Regards

Antoine.