[Python-ideas] the Quantity pattern

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 01:42:26 CET 2010

>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Unum/
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/magnitude/
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/units/
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ScientificPython/
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/SciMath/
>>>
>>> And quite a few more that are part of other packages or otherwise not on
>>> PyPI. It's ridiculously easy to write something that what people think are
>>> the common cases and so everyone does. It's a lot harder to write something
>>> that robustly handles what are actually common cases (absolute temperature
>>> scales, logarithmic scales, etc.).
>>
>> One more: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/piquant/
>>
>> I can't comment on its robustness and performance but as far as
>> readability goes, Unum seems the best of the bunch.
>
> Hmm. How about accessing the Frink
> (http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/) types from Jython?

You might be able to use it to do the unit conversion calculations, but the Java
interface to Frink does not expose any types following the Quantity pattern. It
just provides a way to evaluate strings in the Frink interpreter:

   http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/integrate/

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."