[Python-ideas] Pythonic Dates, Times, and Deltas

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 13 22:42:27 CEST 2010

Daniel G. Taylor wrote:
>  Hey,
>
> I've recently been doing a lot of work with dates related to payment and
> statistics processing at work and have run into several annoyances with
> the built-in datetime, date, time, timedelta, etc classes, even when
> adding in relativedelta. They are awkward, non-intuitive and not at all
> Pythonic to me. Over the past year I've written up a library for making
> my life a bit easier and  figured I would post some information here to
> see what others think, and to gauge whether or not such a library might
> be PEP-worthy.
>
> My original post about it was here:
>
> http://programmer-art.org/articles/programming/pythonic-date
>
> The github project page is here:
>
> http://github.com/danielgtaylor/paodate
>
> This is code that is and has been running in production environments for
> months but may still contain bugs. I have tried to include unit tests
> and ample documentation. I'd love to get some feedback and people's
> thoughts.
>
> I would also love to hear what others find is difficult or missing from
> the built-in date and time handling.

mxDateTime implements most of these ideas:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/mxDateTime/

It's been in production use for more than 13 years now and
has proven to be very versatile in practice; YMMV, of course.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 13 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/