[Python-ideas] Add a site.cfg to keep a persistent list of paths

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Oct 20 18:02:03 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if a project 'Boo' has two packages 'foo' and 'bar' and a module
> 'baz.py', we need those in the path but also the Boo.dist-info
> directory that is created at installation time (see PEP 376).
> Setuptools' metadata directory is called Boo.egg-info, and distutils 1
> has a file called Boo.egg-info since python 2.5

So do it the same way as Setuptools -- setup.py egg_info writes the info to
the root of the packages (which might be src/ for some libraries) and when
that is added to the path, then the directory will be scanned and the
metadata found.  And setup.py develop calls egg_info.  Replace egg with dist
and it's all good, right?

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org