[Python-ideas] Move Demo scripts under Lib

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Tue Oct 26 16:33:38 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 16:00, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think?

After browsing through the Demo dir a bit, I came away thinking most
of these should just be removed from the repository. I think there's
enough demo material out there on the internet (for example in the
cookbook), a lot of it of higher quality than what we have in the Demo
dir right now. Maybe it makes sense to have a basic tkinter app to get
you started. And some of the smaller functions or classes could
possibly be used in the documentation. But as it is, it seems silly to
waste developer time on stuff that few people look at or make use of
(I'm assuming this from the fact that they have previously been
neglected).

Back to the original question: I don't think moving the Demo stuff to
the Lib dir is a good idea, simply because the Lib dir should contain
libraries, not applications or scripts. Writing a section for the
documentation seems a better way to solve the discoverability problem,
testing could be done even in the Demo dir (with more structure if
need be), and quality control could just as well be exercised in the
current location.

Cheers,

Dirkjan