[Python-ideas] @classproperty, @abc.abstractclasspropery, etc.

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 4 18:27:26 CET 2011

On 4 January 2011 15:31, Mike Graham <mikegraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > That said, I am sure there are use cases for static property and class
> > property -- I've run into them myself.
> >
> > An example use case for class property: in App Engine, we have a Model
> > class (it's similar to Django's Model class). A model has a "kind"
> > which is a string (it's the equivalent of an SQL table name). The kind
> > is usually the class name but sometimes there's a need to override it.
> > However once the class is defined it should be considered read-only.
> > Currently our choices are to make this an instance property (but there
> > are some situations where we don't have an instance, e.g. when
> > creating a new instance using a class method); or to make it a class
> > attribute (but this isn't read-only); or to make it a class method
> > (which requires the user to write M.kind() instead of M.kind). If I
> > had class properties I'd use one here.

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here - but if you're
referring to the desire to make an attribute read-only then there is a
different principle at work. If setting something is a programmer error,
then it is better that the error become an exception at the point the error
is made rather than become a different exception somewhere else later on.

Michael Foord

> > --
> > --Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido <http://python.org/%7Eguido>)
>
> This attitude seems to go against the we're-all-adults-here attitude
> that Python, for better or worse, really wants us to take. If we want
> to turn "there's no good reason to do X; it's pointless and you'd have
> to be insane to try, and I even documented that you can't do it" into
> "it's programmability enforced that you can't do X", it seems like we
> should be migrating to a language that enforces this with nicer
> syntax, more fidelity, and less overhead.
>
> Mike

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil