[Python-ideas] Opening a folder in Explorer/Nautilus/Mac-thingie

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Sat Jul 9 11:35:13 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have the path of a certain folder. I want to open it using the default
folder explorer for that system. For example, if it's a Windows computer, I
want to use Explorer, if it's Linux, I want to use Nautilus or whatever is
the default there, if it's Mac, I want to use whatever Mac OS's explorer is
called.

I asked this on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6631299/python-opening-a-folder-in-explorer-nautilus-mac-thingie

But it seems that Python doesn't offer a cross-platform way to do this. I
see this functionality as pretty similar to that of the `webbrowser` module.
Do you think that this is something that could be included with the standard
library?

Ram.