[Python-ideas] Draft PEP for virtualenv in the stdlib

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:26:00 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:
> What about "sys.local_prefix"? Doesn't overload site, but also doesn't
> imply that it always points to a venv. I think "local" carries the right
> connotation here - this is the prefix for the user's local environment
> (as possibly opposed to the "global" system environment). Seems like
> this might make code using the attribute unconditionally read a bit less
> oddly?

I think explaining to people "sys.venv_prefix is still valid when
you're not in a virtual env, it just points to the same place as
sys.prefix" is easier than explaining a *new* name with "<whatever
name> points to the virtual env directory when you're in a virtual
environment and sys.prefix otherwise".

So while I agree your concern is valid, I think just living with the
quirkiness is a reasonable approach.

Cheers,
Nick.