[Python-ideas] Cofunctions - Back to Basics

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 29 03:10:00 CEST 2011

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> (1) You state that it is a "special kind of generator", but don't give
>> any clue as to how it is special.
>
> You're supposed to read the rest of the specification to find that
> out.

I did. Twice. It means little to me. The PEP makes too many assumptions
about the reader's understanding of the issues involved.

If this was a proposal for a new library, I'd say "It doesn't effect me,
I can ignore it, I just won't use the library". But you're talking about
adding syntax and changing the execution model of Python. This becomes
part of the language.

I'm not hostile to the idea. But the PEP needs to reference concrete
examples that people can run to see that there is a problem to be
solved. Otherwise, it just seems that you're proposing adding more
complication to the Python, at least one new keyword and one more
builtin, for what gain?

--
Steven