[Python-ideas] PEP 3155 - Qualified name for classes and functions

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:37:24 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:17:14 -0400
> Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How meaningful are the extra two slots for every function or class object?
>
> It's only one extra slot per function or class.

OK; I was thinking of both the object qname and its module's qname,
but I agree that they are separable.

>> Have you done benchmarks like the Unicode Changes PEP has?

> I don't expect it to have any interesting impact. What benchmarks
> do you have any mind?

I would personally be satisfied with just timing the regression suite
before and after, though others (Unladen Swallow?) may have more
representative workloads.

My biggest concern is that any memory increase (let alone 6%) may
matter if it forces the use of extra cache lines.

-jJ