[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:39:10 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> And Chrome uses one *process* for each tab, right?

Supposedly.  If you click the wrench, then select Tools/Task Manager,
it looks like there are actually several tabs/process (at least if you
have enough tabs), but there can easily be several processes
controlling separate tabs within the same window.

> Is there a reason Chrome
> does not use one thread for each tab, such as security?

That too, but the reason they documented when introducing Chrome was
for stability.

I can say that Chrome often warns me that a selection of tabs[1]
appears to be stopped, and asks if I want to kill them; it more often
appears to freeze -- but switching to a different tab is usually
effective in getting some response, while I wait the issue out.

[1]  Not sure if the selection is exactly equal to those handled by a
single process, but it seems so.

-jJ