[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Fri Feb 10 01:00:32 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:46:45AM -0600, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
> I think if easy_install, gevent, numpy (*), and win32 extensions
> where included in 3.x, together with a slightly better Idle (still
> based on Tkinter, with multiple pages, autocompletion, collapsible,
> line numbers, better printing with syntax highlitghing), and if
> easy_install were accessible via Idle, this would be a killer
> version.
>
> Longer term removing the GIL and using garbage collection should be
> a priority. I am not sure what is involved and how difficult it is

I am not sure if popularity contests are just based on technical
merits/demerits alone. I guess, less people here could care less for
popularity, but more for good tools in python land. So if there are
things lacking in Python world, then those are good project
opportunities.

What I personally feel is, the various plug-and-play libraries are
giving JavaScript a thumbs up and more is going on web world front-end
than back-end. So, if there is a requirement for Python programmer,
there is an assumption that he should web techs too. There are also
PHP/Ruby/Java folks who also know web technologies. So, the web tech
like (javascript) gets counted 4x time.

--
Senthil