[Python-ideas] shutil.runret and shutil.runout

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:59:42 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> subprocess is low level, cryptic, does too much, with poor usability,
> i.e. "don't make me think" is not about it. I don't know about you,
> but I can hardly write any subprocess call without spending at least
> 5-10 meditating over the documentation.

Hi Anatoly,

I believe you'll find the simple convenience methods you are
requesting already exist, in the form of subprocess.call(),
subprocess.check_call() and subprocess.check_output(). The
documentation has also been updated to emphasise these convenience
functions over the Popen swiss army knife.

If you do "pip install shell-command" you can also access the
shell_call(), shell_check_call() and shell_output() functions I
currently plan to include in subprocess for 3.3. (I'm not sure which
versions of Python that module currently supports though - 2.7 and
3.2, IIRC).

Cheers,
Nick.