[Python-ideas] Visually confusable unicode characters in identifiers

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 1 22:51:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2012 20:33, Mathias Panzenböck
> <grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Please; the PEP has been discussed quite a lot when it was proposed,
>>> and believe me, yours is not an unfamiliar argument :)  You're about
>>> 5 years late.
>>>
>>> Georg
>>>

>> I didn't want to start a discussion. I just wanted to know why one would implement such a language feature. Guido's answer cleared it up for me, thanks. I can see the purpose in an educational setting (not in production code of anything a little bit bigger).
>
> Non-ascii identifiers have other possible uses. I'll repost the case
> that started this discussion on python-tutor (attached in case it
> doesn't display):
>
> '''
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> # -*- encoding: utf-8 -*-
>
> # Parameters
> α = 1
> β = 0.1
> γ = 1.5
> δ = 0.075
>
> # Initial conditions
> xₒ = 10
> yₒ = 5
> Zₒ = xₒ, yₒ
>
> # Solution parameters
> tₒ = 0
> Δt = 0.001
> T = 10
>
> # Lotka-Volterra derivative
> def f(Z, t):
>     x, y = Z
>     ẋ = x * (α - β*y)
>     ẏ = -y * (γ - δ*x)
>     return ẋ, ẏ
>
> # Accumulate results from Euler stepper
> tᵢ = tₒ
> Zᵢ = Zₒ
> Zₜ, t = [], []
> while tᵢ <= tₒ + T:
>     Zₜ.append(Zᵢ)
>     t.append(tᵢ)
>     Zᵢ = [Zᵢⱼ+ Δt*Żᵢⱼ for Zᵢⱼ, Żᵢⱼ in zip(Zᵢ, f(Zᵢ, tᵢ))]
>     tᵢ += Δt
>
> # Output since I don't have plotting libraries in Python 3
> print('t', 'x', 'y')
> for tᵢ, (xᵢ, yᵢ) in zip(t, Zₜ):
>     print(tᵢ, xᵢ, yᵢ)
> '''

Those examples would be a lot more compelling if there was an
acceptable way to input those characters. Maybe we could support some
kind of input method that enabled LaTeX style math notation as used by
scientists for writing equations in papers?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)