[Python-ideas] Visually confusable unicode characters in identifiers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 2 06:11:58 CEST 2012

Guido van Rossum writes:

 > Those examples would be a lot more compelling if there was an
 > acceptable way to input those characters.

Hey!!  What's "unacceptable" about Emacs??<duck/>

 > Maybe we could support some kind of input method that enabled LaTeX
 > style math notation as used by scientists for writing equations in
 > papers?

If you're talking about interactive use, Emacs has a method based on
searching the Unicode character database.

LaTeX math notation has a number of potential pitfalls.  In
particular, the sub-/superscript notation can be applied to anything,
not just characters that happen to have *script versions in Unicode.
Also, not everything that seems to a character in LaTeX necessarily
has a corresponding Unicode character.