[Python-ideas] Visually confusable unicode characters in identifiers

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 2 06:25:40 CEST 2012

Matthew Woodcraft <matthew at woodcraft.me.uk>
writes:

> On 2012-10-01 21:51, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Those examples would be a lot more compelling if there was an
> > acceptable way to input those characters. Maybe we could support
> > some kind of input method that enabled LaTeX style math notation as
> > used by scientists for writing equations in papers?
>
> I think that's up to the OS or the text editor.

Agreed. Make of these identifiers will need to be typed at an OS command
line, after all (e.g. for naming a test case to run, as one which
springs easily to mind).

Solve the keyboard input problem in the OS layer – as someone who
anticipates working with non-ASCII characters must already do – and you
solve it for Python code as well. I don't think it's Python's business
to get involved at the input method level.

--
 \       “The apparent lesson of the Inquisition is that insistence on |
  `\         uniformity of belief is fatal to intellectual, moral, and |