[Python-ideas] History stepping in interactive session?

Andy Buckley andy at insectnation.org
Fri Oct 5 11:27:28 CEST 2012

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question on superuser.com about whether
there is a way to get the same *very* convenient
stepping-through-command-history behaviour in an interactive Python
interpreter session as is possible in (at least) the bash shell with the
Ctrl-o keybinding:

http://superuser.com/questions/477997/key-binding-to-interactively-execute-commands-from-python-interpreter-history-in

I was spurred to ask this question by a painful development experience
full of Up Up Up Up Up Enter Up Up Up Up Up Enter ... keypresses to
repeat a previous set of Python commands/statements that weren't worth
putting in a script file, or which I wanted to make very minor changes
to on each iteration.

As you might have noticed, I didn't get any answers, which either means
that I'm the only person in the world to think this is an issue worth
getting bothered about, or that there is no such behaviour available.
Perhaps both -- but my feeling is that if this behaviour were available
and well-known, it would become heavily used and very popular. As many
other readline behaviours *do* work, this one would be really nice to
have -- any chance that it could be added to a future release? (if it's
not already there via some secret binding)

Thanks!
Andy