[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 12:24:01 CEST 2012

On 6 October 2012 09:39, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> I wonder if "mount_point" is sufficiently general to include the roots
> of real local file systems, remote file systems, Windows drives, and
> pseudo file systems?  An obvious problem is that Windows users would
> not find that terminology natural.

Technically, newer versions of Windows (Vista and later, I think)
allow you to mount a drive on a directory rather than a drive letter,
just like Unix. Although I'm not sure I've ever seen it done, and I
don't know if there are suitable API calls to determine if a directory
is a mount point (I guess there must be).

An ugly, but viable, approach would be to have drive and mount_point
properties, which are synonyms.

Paul.